Sunday, July 24, 2022

realization of progress


 The clinic where I used to get counseling shut down months ago so I have not had therapy since then. Every once in awhile, my counselor used to remind me just how far I have come. I no longer have that prompt from her but was given a wake-up call this morning when I was scratched by one of my cats.

I looked at the deepening marks and was suddenly brought back to the days of self-harm. Some of the cutting I used to do is still visible after 20 years. Thankfully, I have not done any such thing in over two years.  I had not realized the stretch of time nor had I examined this victory at all.

I also occasionally come across the big white spot where they had to dig the tick out, the one that delivered Lyme and two other diseases in to my system.  Yesterday I viewed it again and remembered just how debilitated  I was. And without much hope of ever getting 'my life back.' 

It was years of heart-wrenching work (for the mental issues) and years of learning a new lifestyle and meticulously taking meds throughout each day (for the tick-borne illnesses) and now here I am with the lovely results.

I do have small fears that either of these issues could rear their ugly heads again but when I begin thinking that way, I choose to focus on my victories and strengths instead.

Is there a way that you, the reader, can see progress in your own life?   I truly hope it is cause for massive celebration.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home