Monday, March 28, 2022

put the THERAPY in aromatherapy!

 

The history of aromatherapy begins around 3500 years BC. Aromatics were at the time for religious purposes, perfume, and medicine. The actual term "aromatherapy" was invented by the French chemist Rene-Maurice Gattefosse in 1935 after a burn incident, he claimed he treated it effectively with lavender essential oil.

The modern aromatherapy recommendations that I have encountered are a bit too rigid for my tastes.  I am of the opinion that highly personalized aromas can elevate the spirit in an added powerful way than those that follow a set of rules as it were.  Yes, lavender seems to universally calm and lemon invigorates. But let's tap into all of those wonderful smells you have encountered in your life that have so greatly affected you.

In my storage jar, which is a cracked and otherwise unusable family heirloom pitcher, are a variety of smells that totally change my mood when sniffed. Once I press my nose to the babyfood jar that holds new mown hay, my face is contorted with joy. It is my favorite of the collection. I also frequently use the tiny block of beeswax, which sat in my mother's sewing box for decades. I cut the outer dirty bits off to renew the innermost potent smell.

Other smells from the past in the collection include a piece of soap smelling of my Grandmother's place, a cotton swab that was held over a campfire and still gives off that heady aroma, and rose petals.  I have oregano leaves, my favorite lotion (which needs refreshing every few months, as it becomes rancid,) and chamomile flowers. Over time, I added balms made specifically to sooth upon inhaling. I have my favorites and Badger is my go-to brand. Not all concoctions produce the expected results, as every body is different and unique.

If you are ready or interested in creating your own kit, be as imaginative and as personal as possible. The results are beautiful. A smell can transport you to a wonderful memory or can change your chemical makeup for a brief time. After all, anything you smell shows that there are actual particles being inhaled and entering your body.

-GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home