Friday, January 28, 2022

Tech-surrender


 It is a rampant disease.... intense frustration with failing technology, whether it is an owned device or an agency telephone system that never allows you to reach a real person without having a nervous breakdown.

I recently spoke with my counselor about a meltdown I had after being on the phone for half an hour, trying desperately to reach a company's correct office line for help I needed just for daily living.  The dispassionate voice that prompted me to press this or that phone key was the worst of it.  I did all that was asked of me but there was never a choice for the problem I had, and certainly no key to press to be transferred to a real live, warm person who might recognize the tears, then the anger in my voice.

The conclusion was that I felt UNHEARD and unimportant. Just like my growing-up years. No wonder I had a meltdown.

There are too many other incidents to list wherein all of the tech gizmos in my home did not act like they were supposed to. The photo app that printed an 8 x 10 instead of its usual 5 x 7. The password that my computer ALWAYS saved so I would not have to refer to my huge notepad of passwords. On that day, an updated browser had erased all of my passwords. Oh, THAT was a barrel of laughs! 

My bandaid (hardly a solution) is to put up signs on or near every piece of equipment in my home. One such reminder reads, "Warning, this might not work!" and other signs tell me to take a deep breath, hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Now that my expectations are set up FOR something going wrong, I am much better prepared for when it does. Daily, I might add.


-GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home